Prepositions of Place: AT, IN, ON English Grammar Tutorial
In this complete English tutorial for beginners, learners would be able to tell the preposition of place. There are only three prepositions of place “AT”, “In”, and “ON” which we should tackle to learn about its correct grammar and differences with the help of exercises to master the correct usage of these preposition.
To start with, let s know what is a preposition of place.
A preposition of place is a preposition that is used to refer to a place where something or someone is located.
Before we proceed, watch the preposition of place” in at and on to know its usage video here.
Now let’s discuss the preposition of place: in at and on correct grammar in more detailed manner.
What does the preposition at means?
- It is a specific point or place.
- An Exact address:
- He lives at 13 Avenue Street.
- He lives at Avenue Street. X
- He lives on Avenue Street.
4. Buildings where an event or activity takes place:
- at the hotel
- at the cinema
- at the library
- at the police station etc.…
5. Somebody’s house:
- He is at Paul’s house.
- She lives at her parents’ house.
- 6. A Stop on a journey:
- We stopped at a nice village.
- The bus to Bangkok stops at Korat.
7. Standard Expressions:
- For the surface
- Attached to
- The coast/ rivers/ roads:
- Nongkai is a Province on the South Eastern of Thailand.
- London is on the river Thames.
- He lives on Avenue Street.
- Standard Expressions:
- on a farm
- on the left / on the right
- on the ground floor/ on the 1st floor / on the 2nd floor…
- on the radio
- on television
- on a ship
- on the bus
- An enclosed space with a large place with boundaries;
- in a container
- in the kitchen
- in the forest
- in the garden
- in the desert and so on…
- Towns or cities;
- He lives in Manila.
- Jason is in the village.
- They are in Paris to watch the fashion show.
- Standard expressions;
in the newspaper in a boat
in prison in the sky
in hospital in a row
in Avenue Street in a lift (elevator)
in a taxi in photograph
sit in an armchair (sit on a chair / on a stool)
in the water / in the sea
Practice in, at and on Exercises 1
Put in the correct prepositions in, on and at
- Do you think it is a good idea to ban smoking ______ public places?
- Look at the picture ______ the wall.
- My house is ______ the end of the street.
- I stopped ______ Nancy’s house.
- Do you like walking ______ the garden?
Practice in at and on Exercises 2
Put in the correct prepositions in, on and at.
- I found my keys ______the desk.
- I met him______ Paris.
- He was crying ______the back of the classroom.
- I saw the film ______TV.
- These people live______my hometown.
You’ve just learned now the correct grammar and usage the “preposition of place” the in, at and on, hope this has helped you and practice to use it correctly.
Related Article you may like
- When To Use “Do” and “Make” In English Grammar Lesson
- How Much VS How many – Countable and Uncountable Nouns – Food
- Past Simple Tense ‘TO BE’- Was/Were
If you have any questions or suggestions about English grammar tutorials on the preposition of place, the in, at and on about their differences, usage and correct grammar please leave a comment below.
Have a nice day!