Conjunctions “And” “But” “Or” and “So” – English Lesson For Beginners
In this Conjunctions And But or and So English Lesson For Beginners learners would be able to define “Conjunction”. and learn the use of the four coordinating Conjunctions “and”, “but”, “or” and “so” with examples.
Coordinating conjunctions are what come to most people’s minds when they hear the word “conjunction.” They join together words, phrases, and independent clauses.
Watch the video here.
What is a conjunction? A conjunction is;
- Part of speech
- Word that connects other words or groups of words
- Words that helps us build sentences
- Coordinating conjunctions: Connect two equal parts of a sentence
- Most common conjunctions:
- is used to joins or adds words together
- connects the same part of speech, such as nouns, verbs and adjectives
- connects ideas
- Shows choice or possibilities in the sentence
- Connects same parts of speech
- Shows opposite or conflicting ideas
- Often connects sentences
She is poor but industrious.
My classmate was sick but goes to school.
I also called Jane but she wasn’t home.
– Shows the result of the sentence
– Two parts of the sentence: the situation and result
Put on your jacket so you don’t feel cold.
I wanted an ice cream so I went to the shop.
He was lazy so he did not study well.
|Conjunctions||What it does||Examples|
|and||Joins or add words||Peter and John play football.|
|or||Shows choice or possibilities||Would you prefer orange juice or strawberry juice?|
|but||Shows opposite or conflicting ideas||She is poor but industrious.|
|so||Shows the result of the sentence||Put on your jacket so you don’t feel cold.|
Fill in the blanks with the conjunctions “and”, “but”, “or” and “so” for the sentence to complete.
1. I work quickly____________ quietly.
2. I like coffee ____________ and bread.
3. He reads magazines, ____________ he doesn’t like to read books.
4. We can either go to the cinema ____________ to the café.
5. Do you like milk ____________ chocolate?
6. I’ve drunk six cups of coffee today, ____________ I’ve got a headache.
7. I like coffee, ____________ John prefers tea.
8. He’s hungry ____________he gets some food.
9. He lost the key____________ he couldn’t get into his room.
10. The weather isn’t very nice ____________ we don’t play outside.
Download the Presentation used in this tutorial here.
- Prepositions of Time IN, ON and AT- English Grammar
- Prepositions of Place: AT, IN, ON English Grammar Tutorial
If you have any questions or suggestions about this Conjunctions And But or and So in English for beginners, please feel free to leave a comment below.